Monitors/Graphs magically are not applied to sub-device
I have seen several times that I have a template applied to a sub-device and all is well. I go back later to look at the graphs and the data has stopped being recorded. There's some previous data there but it just stopped recording. I go look at the sub-device and I am able to select the check box AGAIN to apply a monitor, even though there are already monitors applied to that sub-device, the check box should no be selectable, since I had applied a monitor origianlly. If I apply a monitor to the questionable sub-devices, I now have twice as many monitors, because the original one's are still there. Any ideas what is causing this?
I'm all out of pennies now
[quote192e7bc67b="doppelganger"]I have seen several times that I have a template applied to a sub-device and all is well. I go back later to look at the graphs and the data has stopped being recorded. There's some previous data there but it just stopped recording.[/quote192e7bc67b]
Any indication why there were gaps in data? Was the gatherer running as expected, or was it dying or not being run for some reason?
[quote192e7bc67b="doppelganger"]I go look at the sub-device and I am able to select the check box AGAIN to apply a monitor, even though there are already monitors applied to that sub-device, the check box should no be selectable, since I had applied a monitor origianlly. If I apply a monitor to the questionable sub-devices, I now have twice as many monitors, because the original one's are still there. Any ideas what is causing this?[/quote192e7bc67b]
What version are you using? There is code in place to prevent duplicate monitors from being added when adding templates more than once.
the gatherer is working fine. I have several other graphs and the are fine. I am running 18.2 of NetMRG. I also had episodes where i had templates applied to some sub-dev and went to check them out. 2 out of five of them stopped recording but the other three were fine. I had to delete those sub-dev and add them back. Just seems sporadic and I can't really reproduce it. I do have to say I have A LOT of sub-dev when you add them all up...
Had some other sub-devices stop monitoring again. This could really get annoying. I went to look at the interface metrics on my VPN Concentrators and 2 out of 3 interfaces had stopped monitoring but the other one was fine. Also all the other metrics on that system were fine.
Do these devices add/remove interfaces very often (ie, if a user connects to the VPN concentrator, does this add an interface to the device)? If so, it might be that NetMRG is trying to recache the interface list often and might not be completing it everytime leaving you with a broken interface cache.
Maybe check your interface cache after you notice subdevices aren't being monitored and see if all your interfaces are still there.
I have several hundred connections occurring ever day, so no this is not due to connections from users. I have a template I built that gets the number of current users, cpu proc, number of Lan-to-Lan tunnels and those never have dropped. Also there interfaces on this are physical interfaces. They are the only physical interfaces on there. I checkd the snmp cache on this last time and all three were there, but the two interfaces that stopped monitoring were unchecked. i had to recheck them and select monitor again. Also the graphs were still in the view graph screen when i select that device from the device_tree.
It sounds like the ifIndex is changing for them for some reason; can you verify that this is the case? You'd just kinda have to remember this from one time to the next. What type of interfaces are they? What device/os (cisco, linux, juniper; switch, router, etc).
Somehow i don't think the ifIndex could change. That is set during each boot up when the system starts up and should not be dynamic afer the system has started. There are only three interfaces on this system, and it just so happens that the ifDescr is the same on this device. You can't change the ifDescr on this device either...Here is the info on the device as it is right now...
IF-MIBifNumber.0 = INTEGER 3
IF-MIBifIndex.1 = INTEGER 1
IF-MIBifIndex.2 = INTEGER 2
IF-MIBifIndex.3 = INTEGER 3
IF-MIBifDescr.1 = STRING DEC 21143A PCI Fast Ethernet
IF-MIBifDescr.2 = STRING DEC 21143A PCI Fast Ethernet
IF-MIBifDescr.3 = STRING DEC 21143A PCI Fast Ethernet
IF-MIBifPhysAddress.1 = STRING 090a404b98
IF-MIBifPhysAddress.2 = STRING 090a404b99
IF-MIBifPhysAddress.3 = STRING 090a404b9a